As West Bengal seems to be ahead to panchayat elections, a sequence of blasts have rocked a number of districts of the state triggering disagreement between the ruling Trinamool Congress and the Opposition events. While numerous leaders from the opposition camp have blamed the Mamata Banerjee-led get together for the explosions, accusing them of indulging in sick practices to determine management on panchayats, the TMC leaders argued in defence.
Here’s a take a look at some current blast incidents
- In previous one week, three incidents of blasts at two unlawful firecracker manufacturing items and a warehouse in Bengal have claimed 16 lives: In the most recent, a sequence of blasts at a firecracker store in Malda district killed two individuals and left three injured on Tuesday.
- On Monday, three girls of a household, together with a minor, have been killed and several other individuals injured in a blast at an unlawful firecracker manufacturing unit at Budge Budge, about 26 km from Kolkata. The three deceased have been recognized as 65-year-old Jamuna Das, her daughter Pampa Ghati and her 10-year-old granddaughter Jayashree, South 24 Parganas police, beneath which the realm falls, stated. The state authorities has ordered a CID probe into the incident, a senior official stated.
- On May 16, an explosion at an unlawful firecracker manufacturing unit in Khadikul village in Purba Medinipur district’s Egra city killed 11 individuals whereas leaving many injured. The blast victims included the proprietor of the manufacturing unit Krishnapada alias Bhanu Bag. The BJP has sought a probe by the National Investigation Agency into the case. The get together stated crude bombs have been being manufactured there whilst Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee hit again saying she has no issues with the Central company probing the incident.
Investigating police information, interviewing households of survivors and native officers, The Indian Express has tracked down 24 households of six kids who misplaced their lives and 18 who have been critically injured throughout 5 districts between 2021 and 2022: Burdwan, Birbhum, Malda, North and South 24 Parganas. Read Part I of the Express Investigation report here
- Apart type the blasts in firecracker unit, an explosion was reported outdoors an area Trinamool Congress (TMC) chief Sariful Mollah’s home in Chaltaberia in North 24 Parganas district final Tuesday. Sources stated the police are nonetheless attempting to determine the reason for the blast. Mollah’s spouse Rohanara Bibi was injured within the blast. Local residents stated a big a part of the home was broken within the incident.
- Another blast happened at a TMC employee’s residence in Ghorapara space of Paduma gram panchayat in Birbhum district’s Dubrajpur municipality on Monday. No casualties have been reported. So far, the police have arrested two individuals in reference to the incident.
War of phrases: Who stated what
Hitting out on the ruling TMC, BJP spokesperson Samik Bhattacharya has stated, “The point is those who are running the administration are depending on bombs to establish control on panchayats. All anti-social elements are in TMC. Every hooligan is either from TMC or is a supporter of TMC. People are coming to know about bombs only when they go off accidentally.”
He has additionally remarked that beneath the Trinamool Congress (TMC) regime, bomb-making had become a ‘cottage industry’ in West Bengal. “Before 2007, bombs were generally found in Kolkata and adjoining districts. But now they can be found across the state. In 2011 (when the TMC came to power in the state), Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee had assured that the people of West Bengal will get freedom from the terror of bombs. However, during her tenure in the past 12 years, the use of bombs has increased in different parts of Bengal. Under the Trinamool Congress regime, bomb-making has become a cottage industry in the state.”
The BJP chief additionally claimed that previously two years many kids have died and have been injured in bomb explosions within the 5 districts of West Bengal. “The chief minister and home minister of the state (Mamata Banerjee) will have to take responsibility for these incidents,” he added.
CPI(M) chief Shamik Lahiri stated: “The entire state is sitting on explosives. Police only come to know about these explosives only when they go off accidentally. Unless the TMC is voted out of the state, such things can’t be controlled,” stated CPI(M) chief Shamik Lahiri.
Drawing a parallel with war-torn Ukriane, Leader of Opposition Suvendu Adhikari, whereas speaking to ANI, stated, “The condition of West Bengal is worse than that of Ukraine. There is not as much explosion taking place in Ukraine as it is happening in Bengal.”
Defending the state authorities, TMC MP Saugata Roy stated, “In such weather, explosive materials catch fire easily which is probably the reason behind such incidents. Chemically, it is said that if there is too much heat, there are higher chances of a blast. There are 38,000 villages in Bengal. How would police know which village has stored bombs?”
Meanwhile, campaigning for the panchayat polls in Basirahat, TMC MP Nusrat Jahan requested to not tolerate anybody besides Trinamool Congress once they come searching for votes. “Do not poll a single vote in their (other parties) favour. If anyone comes at your door asking for votes, what will you do? Pick up a bamboo and beat them,” she was heard saying in a video footage from the programme which has now gone viral. Her speech has wager met with sharp reactions from the BJP.
Part-time politician Nusrat Jahan, who’s hardly present in her constituency & by no means helped individuals when in want, all of a sudden finds a method to garner consideration.
She asks individuals to beat BJP with bamboo! This is regular in Mamata’s Democracy. Bengal will quickly educate them a lesson! pic.twitter.com/oW5cPzltGh
— BJP Bengal (@BJP4Bengal) May 23, 2023
Tweeting the video on its official deal with, the BJP known as it a specimen of “part–time politician” discovering “a way to garner attention”. “Part-time politician Nusrat Jahan, who is hardly found in her constituency & never helped people when in need, suddenly finds a way to garner attention. She asks people to beat BJP with bamboo! This is normal in Mamata’s Democracy. Bengal will soon teach them a lesson!” the get together tweeted.